Tuesday, January 22, 2008

How to become successful Content Writer: Part III

I have just finished the assignment. I know I could do better if I was allowed to work when I want. I also know how awkward it is to tell I prefer writing in night when the world is calm and quiet!

It was Jan 7 when I got the assignment. The topics were unknown, completely unknown. Though it was pretty cool in the first week of January here in Kolkata, still I started sweating. I did not work on this sort of project before. However, I talked to myself and gave it a start in my own way.

As I prefer scientific and research-oriented subjects, I took interest in the subject. It was about environment and microbes. After spending some time on the resources, I could digest the matter a bit. However, it was taking too much time for me to get started. Hence I did these things:
  • Created a new file in MS Word and saved it
  • Drafted the format, made a list of points which I will be elaborating in the article
  • Calculated what should be the word count for each point
  • Started writing, consulted the resources as required
  • Once I finished the first article, it did not take longer to finish the tenth one
Content Writing Mantra #1: Don’t panic if the topic is new. Remember, you are a researcher and you are here to present the right information to the readers. So do your research, take your time, digest the matter and then start writing.

Content Writing Mantra #2: It’s the first article that takes time. Once you are familiar with the subject, you can write lot, a lot.

Content Writing Mantra #3: Editing and Writing are different. Don’t start editing when you write. Complete the job and then review it to edit the errors.

The thing that I found more challenging is writing multiple titles, descriptions and author’s biographies for all the 10 articles. I suspected it to take a lot of time; hence I pushed Meta writing at the end of my schedule. Soon after I finished the last article, I started writing Meta for all of them.

Content Writing Mantra #4: You are a human being. It may be difficult for you to shift to a whole new job readily. Group similar jobs and schedule them as per your convenience.

Then there was another assignment to complete. But this topic was not scientific and one of the topics I do not like to write about. But, as everything has a history, I got the food for my head!

Today, just few minutes back, I have completed the whole task. It took less than 12 working days to write 15 500words articles. I had to write multiple titles, summaries and biographies for all the articles and did HTML formatting for all of them too. I am feeling relaxed today.

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: